NIE, Social Security & Residency in Spain

Home  >>  TEFL Blog  >>  NIE, Social Security & Residency in Spain

NIE, Social Security & Residency in Spain

On September 25, 2018, Posted by , In TEFL Blog, With Comments Off on NIE, Social Security & Residency in Spain
By Nina Krol
After completing my Trinity CertTESOL course at TEFL in Spain – my priority was finding a job as an English teacher. To do this I needed to apply for my Social Security Number and my NIE.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 15.39.41
Social Security Number:
I still had to schedule an appointment online ahead of time for the NIE at the police station. Prior to my appointment, I had to go to the Social Security office to obtain my social security number. There is no need to make an appointment ahead of time for this, however the office was quite busy, so I recommend getting there earlier in the morning when the office first opens to avoid a long queue. To get the social security number, you need to have:
  • a copy of your passport
  • original passport
  • application form filled out

The application form can be picked up at the reception desk in the office and filled out on-site. The clerk that I worked with at the office was very quick, so the actual process of setting up my social security number, which is linked to my Polish (EU) passport, took about 10 minutes.


What Your Employer Needs:
In terms of employment, most employers only need your passport details and the social security number to hire you and draw up a temporary employment contract.
NIE Number:
Once your employer provides you with a copy of the employment contract, you can take the contract, copy of your passport, original passport, and social security number to your appointment at the police station to obtain your NIE.
In addition, you need to fill out the:

Bring copies of these forms to the police station. These forms both need to be filled out online, downloaded, and printed.

Temporary Year Long Residency:
To apply for the temporary year long residency, there is a fee of €12 which needs to be paid at a Unicaja bank. Bring all the forms and stamped receipt from the bank to the appointment at the police station. The clerk at the station will look through the forms, enter in the information onto the computer, and will issue you the residency green card on the spot. The residency card will include the NIE number. You can then provide your employer with your NIE so that they can draw up a new copy of the employment contract.
Comments are closed.