Canadian & American Applicants
If you are a non-EU student TEFL student from The U.S or Canada, you can apply for a 3 month tourist visa, and you are free to study during this period. For candidates from the United States, the 90 day tourist visa is automatic and there is no need for paperwork. During the three months you could also offer private tutoring on a free lance basis.
Do I need a visa?
Unless you have an EU Passport, you’ll only be allowed to stay in the Schengen Zone on a tourist visa for 90 days. The Schengen Zone includes Spain and most other EU countries. If you plan to stay longer, you need to apply for a different visa.
Long-term Student Visa
- Long-term student visa (minimum 7 months) for non-EU students
With the long-term student visa, you are eligible to apply for a work authorization to work for up to 20 hours per week, which is almost a full-time job (24 hours teaching is generally considered full time). In order to apply for a student visa, you need to be enrolled in a course of min 20 hours a week.
We run a course which meets the requirement of 20 hours a week and qualifies as full time study:
TEFL & Intensive Spanish Course
What do I need to provide for my student visa?
Generally speaking, the Spanish consulate requires the following:
- Visa application form
- passport-type photos
- valid passport and ID card
- letter of acceptance from the school
- full payment of your courses
- evidence of sufficient funds for the length of your stay
- proof of international health insurance
- payment of visa application fee
- a medical certificate and criminal background check (for long-term student visas only)
Can I travel in Europe before or after my student visa?
You may be allowed to travel before your course starts if you ask the consulate at the time of your visa application, but this can usually only be for a few days. However, once your student visa expires it will automatically switch to a 90-day tourist visa to allow you to travel around the Schengen zone.
How can we help you?
- Guidance to apply for a student visa
- We supply the enrolment letter required for the visa appointment
- Fast replies and unlimited support through email or Skype/phone chats
- Recommendations of health insurance for U.S applicants
Once in Spain:
- Access to our Careers Service to help you find work.
- Assistance applying for the NIE card (foreigner’s ID number) and social security number
Complete the online application form here. You will then be invited for a skype/phone interview.